Villa La Pagliaia is an ancient country mansion located in the middle of the Chianti Classico hills, a few kilometers from Siena. The villa was built by Giulio Bianchi Bandinelli (1769-1824), a member of a prominent and ancient Sienese family. Over the years, this property has not lost its original charm, since the elegance of the italian-style building is also reflected in the architecture of the garden in front of it. The villa is surrounded by a romantic English landscape park that blends in perfectly with the style of the Italian garden, with round flower beds bordered by low boxwood hedges and gravel paths.
Because of its unmistakable beauty, as well as for the surrounding landscape and the atmosphere of peace and serenity that reigned inside, Villa La Pagliaia soon became the home of Grand Duke Ferdinand III and his court when he was in Siena. During his stay, the Grand Duke praised the territory, the mild climate and the wide-open spaces that allowed him to enjoy a pleasant stay with his entourage.
Villa La Pagliaia produced its first bottle of wine in 1895, and is therefore one of the historic producers of the area. Located in the southern part of the Chianti Classico region, the vineyards owned by Villa La Pagliaia are characterized by a mixed soil of clay and limestone. Almost all of them are planted with Sangiovese and produce three wines of absolute excellence: Chianti Classico, Chianti Classico Riserva and Chianti Classico Gran Selezione.