In 1788, Kentucky Pioneer Isaac Ruddell founded a grist mill along Stoner Creek and South Fork Licking River creating Bourbon County’s first industrial district. The mill processed grains utilized for the production of whiskey. One of Kentucky’s first covered bridges, “Ruddles Mill” Covered Bridge, was built at this site in 1861. The bridge functioned to provided easy access to both sides of Stoner Creek until 1964 when it was destroyed by arson.
Ruddell’s Mill Kentucky Straight Bourbon is derived from a high corn mash bill rounded out with Rye and Barley and is meant to replicate an early day Kentucky Whiskey mash bill that would have been common in Isaac Ruddell’s time. This early day mash bill was less of a “recipe” and came about more based on the grains that were locally available at the time. Such “Bourbon County Whiskey” predates the legal definition of Bourbon which was much later established by congress.
Ruddell’s Mill Bourbon is a small batch bourbon with individually numbered bottles and a batch number on each label. It is non-chill filtered and bottled at 92.2 giving it a generous flavor and backbone for sipping and especially mixing in cocktails.